|Pregnancy Calendar for Dogs|
|Date:||Sat 24 May 2003|
|Sire:||Ch. Iron Eagle Andre||Dam:||Holly Woods Gimme a Kiss||Breeder:||Joe Galesky|
|Thu 1 May 2003|
- First day of mating.
- 48 hours after the first mating the bitch should be mated again. Subsequent matings occurring over a period of time enhance the chances of fertilization taking place.
- The spermatozoa migrate up through the cervix.
|Fri 2 May 2003|
- Sperm travel searching for a mature ripened eggs.
|Fri 2 May 2003 -|
Sat 3 May 2003
- Spermatozoa reach the eggs in the oviducts.
|Sat 3 May 2003 -|
Sun 4 May 2003
- Fertilization occurs in the oviducts which lead from the ovaries to the uterus.
|Sun 4 May 2003 -|
Tue 6 May 2003
- Fertilized eggs migrate down the oviducts and into the uterine horns.
- The migration continue to enable even spacing of the embryos.
- During this migration the eggs will grow into a blastocystes.
|Mon 12 May 2003 -|
Wed 14 May 2003
- The blastocystes implant in the wall of the uterus.
|Mon 12 May 2003 -|
Mon 26 May 2003
- The blastocystes will grow into an embryos.
- During the next two weeks the important organs will develop.
|Thu 15 May 2003 -|
Thu 22 May 2003
- Dams nipples begin to pink enlarge.
- The fur on the dams belly and around the nipples may become thinner.
|Wed 21 May 2003 -|
Wed 28 May 2003
- Morning sickness might occur due to hormonal changes or stretching and distension of the uterus. Dam may appear a bit apathetic. She may be off her feed for a while and vomit from time to time.
- Feeding the dam several meals spaced throughout the day might help.
- Your veterinarian may want to prescribe a drug to relax the uterus.
|Mon 26 May 2003 -|
Fri 30 May 2003
- An experienced person (a breeder or a veterinarian) can tell by careful palpation whether the dam is pregnant.
- It's now the best time to do this because the embryos are walnut-sized now and easy to count.
|Thu 29 May 2003|
- Start to increase the dams food ration.
- Don't overfeed, excessive weight gain should be avoided.
- The foetuses are now and are fully developed miniature dogs.
|Wed 4 Jun 2003|
- The Dams abdomen starts to get larger.
|Sat 14 Jun 2003|
- It's very easy now to feel the puppies, counting them might be a bit more difficult.
|Tue 17 Jun 2003 -|
Wed 25 Jun 2003
- Dam begins to spend a lot more time in self-grooming.
- Her breasts become even more swollen.
- She may become a bit restlessness and begin to search for a suitable place to have her puppies.
|Thu 19 Jun 2003|
- The dam might lose her appetite during this period. Her abdomen can be crowded with puppies.
- It is better to feed several smaller meals spaced throughout the day.
- You can easily detect abdominal movement now.
|Thu 19 Jun 2003 -|
Fri 4 Jul 2003
- Nipples and vulva should be gently cleaned with warm water, you might want to trim the hairs surrounding the nipples, to allow easier access for the puppies to suck.
|Sun 29 Jun 2003 -|
Wed 2 Jul 2003
- Milky fluid may be expressed from the nipples.
|Mon 30 Jun 2003|
- You might want to start taking the dams rectal temperature each morning and evening.
|Thu 3 Jul 2003|
- Twelve to 24 hours before she is due to deliver, the dams rectal temperature may drop from 101 to 98 degrees.
- Clear discharge from the vulva might occur.
|Fri 4 Jul 2003|
- Expected date of whelp. Of course this is just an average. Whelping may take place from the 59th to the 65th day. Puppies born before the 58th day will probably be too young to survive.