|Pregnancy Calendar for Dogs|
|Date:||Sat 24 May 2003|
|Sire:||Ch. Iron Eagle Andre||Dam:||Holly Woods Red Hot Kisses||Breeder:||Joe Galesky|
|Fri 25 Apr 2003|
- First day of mating.
- 48 hours after the first mating the bitch should be mated again. Subsequent matings occurring over a period of time enhance the chances of fertilization taking place.
- The spermatozoa migrate up through the cervix.
|Sat 26 Apr 2003|
- Sperm travel searching for a mature ripened eggs.
|Sat 26 Apr 2003 -|
Sun 27 Apr 2003
- Spermatozoa reach the eggs in the oviducts.
|Sun 27 Apr 2003 -|
Mon 28 Apr 2003
- Fertilization occurs in the oviducts which lead from the ovaries to the uterus.
|Mon 28 Apr 2003 -|
Wed 30 Apr 2003
- Fertilized eggs migrate down the oviducts and into the uterine horns.
- The migration continue to enable even spacing of the embryos.
- During this migration the eggs will grow into a blastocystes.
|Tue 6 May 2003 -|
Thu 8 May 2003
- The blastocystes implant in the wall of the uterus.
|Tue 6 May 2003 -|
Tue 20 May 2003
- The blastocystes will grow into an embryos.
- During the next two weeks the important organs will develop.
|Fri 9 May 2003 -|
Fri 16 May 2003
- Dams nipples begin to pink enlarge.
- The fur on the dams belly and around the nipples may become thinner.
|Thu 15 May 2003 -|
Thu 22 May 2003
- Morning sickness might occur due to hormonal changes or stretching and distension of the uterus. Dam may appear a bit apathetic. She may be off her feed for a while and vomit from time to time.
- Feeding the dam several meals spaced throughout the day might help.
- Your veterinarian may want to prescribe a drug to relax the uterus.
|Tue 20 May 2003 -|
Sat 24 May 2003
- An experienced person (a breeder or a veterinarian) can tell by careful palpation whether the dam is pregnant.
- It's now the best time to do this because the embryos are walnut-sized now and easy to count.
|Fri 23 May 2003|
- Start to increase the dams food ration.
- Don't overfeed, excessive weight gain should be avoided.
- The foetuses are now and are fully developed miniature dogs.
|Thu 29 May 2003|
- The Dams abdomen starts to get larger.
|Sun 8 Jun 2003|
- It's very easy now to feel the puppies, counting them might be a bit more difficult.
|Wed 11 Jun 2003 -|
Thu 19 Jun 2003
- Dam begins to spend a lot more time in self-grooming.
- Her breasts become even more swollen.
- She may become a bit restlessness and begin to search for a suitable place to have her puppies.
|Fri 13 Jun 2003|
- The dam might lose her appetite during this period. Her abdomen can be crowded with puppies.
- It is better to feed several smaller meals spaced throughout the day.
- You can easily detect abdominal movement now.
|Fri 13 Jun 2003 -|
Sat 28 Jun 2003
- Nipples and vulva should be gently cleaned with warm water, you might want to trim the hairs surrounding the nipples, to allow easier access for the puppies to suck.
|Mon 23 Jun 2003 -|
Thu 26 Jun 2003
- Milky fluid may be expressed from the nipples.
|Tue 24 Jun 2003|
- You might want to start taking the dams rectal temperature each morning and evening.
|Fri 27 Jun 2003|
- Twelve to 24 hours before she is due to deliver, the dams rectal temperature may drop from 101 to 98 degrees.
- Clear discharge from the vulva might occur.
|Sat 28 Jun 2003|
- Expected date of whelp. Of course this is just an average. Whelping may take place from the 59th to the 65th day. Puppies born before the 58th day will probably be too young to survive.